Permits & Licenses

How do I apply for a Block Party permit?

Block parties are a traditional way for neighbors to come together and socialize.  They are also beneficial in that they promote goodwill, cooperation, awareness and safety in the neighborhood.  With this in mind, the City of Redondo Beach encourages residents to have block parties through the provision of a single block party kit and a one-step permit process.  The block party kit is reserved on a first-come-first-served basis.

Applications are available at Public Works, 531 N. Gertruda Avenue or visit our website at and click on the Public Works Department link, scroll down to Announcements to download an application.  If you have questions or wish to have a block party, contact the Public Works Department at (310) 318-0686.
Please Note: Signed and completed applications must be submitted thirty (30) days in advance of the party date.  Example: If you plan to have a party on July 24th, your signed and completed application must be turned in by June 24th.
Denied applications are determined by either of the following:

  1. Application forms are not signed or completed or not submitted together
  2. 85% of resident signatures is not met
  3. Application is turned in late

531 N. Gertruda Avenue
Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Redondo Beach
CA 90277
Phone: 310-318-0686
Fax: 310-374-4718

Can I get a beach permit for events (i.e. weddings, parties)?

Please contact LA County Beaches' office to obtain information at (310) 305-9503.

Can I renew my driver's license on-line?

Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for information at

Do I need a license or permit to run a business out of my house?

Yes, every person engaged in operating a home occupation shall obtain a City business license.  Some restrictions for a business in your home also include: 

  • no employees
  • no walk-in customers
  • no displays
  • no stock storage
  • no products sold at the home
  • no mechanical equipment used

For more information about business licensing (application and fees), click here.

Do I need a permit for a new swimming pool?

Yes, you do.

 Please contact the Planning Department at 310-318-0637 for details and information.

Do I need a permit for a yard or garage sale?

No permit is required, however, the person conducting a yard/garage sale shall file an affidavit with the Licensing Division stating that all the property to be sold is his own personal property and has not been acquired or consigned to him for the purpose of resale.  Only one such sale may be conducted in any twelve (12) month period and shall be limited to not more than three (3) consecutive days or two (2) consecutive weekends of two (2) days each in accordance with RBMC Section 4-23.01 and 4-23.02

For more information and/or to obtain a Garage Sale Affidavit, please click on the link below:

Do I need a permit for my business sign?

Yes, you do.

Please contact the Planning Department at 310-318-0637 for details and information.

Do I need a permit for my home or business security system or alarm system?

Every monitored or audible alarm system installed within the boundaries of the City of Redondo Beach must have a current alarm permit issued by the Redondo Beach Police Department.

All alarms and alarm permits located in the City of Redondo Beach are governed by the Redondo Beach Municipal Code in Title 3 Chapter 11. The regulations were enacted to insure a form of order to protect the public health, safety, and welfare. To briefly summarize the Municipal Code: All premises with an alarm system within the City must have an alarm permit; a separate permit is required for each premise on which an alarm is installed.

  • The fee for each permit is $33.  
  • Each permit is valid for 36 months from the date of issue.  
  • Each separately alarmed address must have it's own permit.  
  • Changes to ownership, emergency or contact information must be provided to the Police Department within five (5) days.
  • Permit applications are not available on-line at this time.

To request an alarm permit application, obtain assistance with an existing alarm permit, or have other alarm related questions, you may:

  • Come to the lobby of the Redondo Beach Police Department, located at 401 Diamond Street    –or---
  • Contact a Communications Supervisor via email at, or call 310-379-2477 ext. 2374.

Do I need a permit to film in the city?

Yes. A permit helps to ensure that the filming of movies, television programs & special events does not unnecessarily disturb the residents or businesses in the City. To access the filming policy and film permit application click here.

How can I get a license to sell alcohol?

Contact the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control at 310-412- 6311.

How do I obtain a contractor’s license?

Contact the California Contractors State License Board at 1-800-321-CSLB for information.  You can also find information by following the links at

How do I renew my contractor’s license?

Contact the California Contractors State License Board at 1-800-321-CSLB for information.  You can also find information by following the links at

What are the procedures and requirements for opening a retail store?

First contact the Planning Department at 310-318-0637 to ensure that the location of the business is zoned for retail sales and for sign regulations.

After Planning approval, you will need to obtain a business license. For access to business licensing information (application and fees) click here.

What are the procedures and requirements to open a restaurant?

You may need to contact the following agencies for various approvals:

  • Planning Department for a conditional use permit and/or other land use approvals (i.e. outdoor dining, parking, design review, etc.).  Call 310-318-0637 for information. 
  • Building Department for construction, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical inspections.  Call 310-318-0636 for information.
  • Planning and Building permits for signs.
  • County Health Department for food & beverage service.
  • City Business License. Call 310-318-0603.
  • Entertainment Permit if you plan to have live entertainment, performers and/or dancing.  Call Planning at 310-318-0637.
  • Liquor License from State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control for alcohol sales and service.  Call 310-412-6311 for information.

What departments do I need to contact if I'm building a new house?

Contact the Planning Department at 310-318-0637 and the Engineering and Building Services Department at 310-318-0636.

What is a Conditional Use Permit?

A Conditional Use Permit (or CUP) reviews certain types of businesses for impacts on the surrounding neighborhood.  A CUP generally stipulates conditions for the business operation such as hours, noise control, parking, walls and landscaping as "conditional" approval of the business.  A few examples of businesses that need a CUP are: restaurants, bars, automotive sales and repair, dance and martial arts studios, and liquor stores.  An application, including a business description and plans, needs to be submitted to the Planning Department for consideration by the City's Planning Commission a few months prior to approval.

Contact the Planning Department at 310-318-0637 or for more details.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy permit?

The Chief Building Official issues a Certificate of Occupancy (C. of O.) to certify that a new commercial/industrial building has met and satisfied all required City code inspections.  A C. of O. is not required for residential dwellings. 

You'll find more information at

You may also call the Building Department at 310-318-0636 for details.

The Building Department is located at 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, CA  90277, Door 2.

What licenses do I need to start a new business?

First contact the Planning Department at 310-318-0637 with a proposed address and business description to determine if the type of business is permitted in that location.  Other permits and reviews by the Planning Department may also be necessary after the initial contact. 

If the business is permitted, the next step is to apply for a City Business License.  For more information about business licensing (application and fees), click here.

What permits do I need to remodel my house?

Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permits if applicable.  Contact the Building Services Department at 310-318-0636 for information.

Where can I get information about construction permits?

Contact the Building  Services Division at 310-318-0636 or

Where do I get or renew my taxi license?

For specific information, call (310) 318-0603 for the Business License Division. You may contact them at The address is 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, CA  90277, Door 1.