Are dogs allowed on school grounds?

No, dogs are not allowed on school grounds.  The Redondo Beach Municipal Code ( ) addresses this issue as follows:

5-1.602 School grounds.
 Dogs, with or without a leash, are hereby prohibited on any portion of any public school grounds, except organized pet shows, vaccination clinics, and obedience schools which may be authorized from time to time by the public school administrator, Seeing Eye dogs, dogs used in law enforcement activities, and any other dogs authorized by the public school administrator. (§ 3, Ord. 2471, eff. September 3, 1987)

How can I dispose of a dead animal?

Call Animal Control at 310-318-0611 for removal.

How can I volunteer to work with animals?

You may contact Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control, or Los Angeles SPCA  They both have programs for volunteers.

The Redondo Beach Dog Park uses volunteers.  You may contact them at

How do I handle a dangerous animal or a snake on my property?

Call Animal Control immediately at 310-318-0611.  If this occurs when City Hall is closed, contact the police department at 310-379-5411.

How do I handle a problem with bees?

If you need information on bees and related bee problems, please visit

If a swarm is active and stinging people, call 9-1-1.  If you notice bees coming from a structure (building, fence, etc.), then call the Police Department at 310-379-5411.

You may find more information at

How do I handle a problem with rats & other pests?

Rats and other pests are best handled by commercial pest control companies.  If your neighbor has conditions that harbor rats, contact LA Vector Control at 310-915-7370.

How do I report a stray dog / cat?

Call Animal Control at (310) 318-0611 to report a stray animal.  Please have as much of a description as possible and a direction of travel for the animal.

How do I report an abused pet?

Call our Animal Control immediately at 310-318-0611 and give us the appropriate information on the suspected abuse.

If the suspected abuse occurs while City Hall is closed, contact the police department at 310-379-5411.

What are the leash laws?

"The Redondo Beach Municipal Code Addresses the Issue as follows:" 
5-1.103 Dogs at large.
 It shall be unlawful for any person to permit any dog, when harbored or controlled by him, to run at large on any public street, alley, lane, park or other public place or in or upon any unenclosed lot or premises in the City unless he is restrained by a substantial chain or leash not exceeding six (6') feet in length and he is in the charge, care, custody or control of a competent person; provided, however, that no dog shall be allowed or permitted on any beach or in any store, market, restaurant, cafe, lunch room, soda fountain, bakery or kindred establishment wherein vegetables, meats or other foods for human consumption are served, sold or kept for sale. Any police officer or the Poundmaster is hereby authorized to enter upon any private premises for the purpose of enforcing the provisions of this chapter. No person shall refuse to obey any lawful order of such officer made in the performance of his duties within the powers conferred upon him by law. (§ 4, Ord. 1479)
5-1.104 Dogs on fenced property.
 Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed as preventing the owner or custodian of any dog from permitting his dog to be at large upon property owned or controlled by the owner or custodian provided such property is enclosed in such a manner as to prevent the dog from escaping therefrom. (§ 5, Ord. 1479).

You may find more information at

What are the regulations for the maximum permissible number of pets?

No more than three (3) dogs or cats at least four (4) months of age may be kept on any lot or premises within the City.

You may find more information at

What do I do about a problem with barking dogs?

There are a number of remedies available.  Call Animal Control for details at 310-318-0611. 

More information is available at

What do I do if an animal bites me?

If you are bitten by an animal in Redondo Beach, you should first contact your physician immediately.  Animal Control (310-318-0611) should be contacted to file a report.

What do I do if I have lost my pet?

Call our Animal Control (310-318-0611) department and report your pet lost.  We can then check our records and see if your pet was picked up by us as a stray.  You should then visit the local animal shelters SPCLALA County Animal Care and see if your pet is there.  You may also wish to place a "lost" ad in the local newspapers.  If your pet is found, call our Animal Control and let us know so that we can take the pet off the lost list.

Losing your pet is distressing.  You can take some preventative steps though.  First of all, license your pet.  For dogs it is a requirement, but the benefit is that if our animal control staff ever picks up your dog, we can easily identify him/her and promptly return your pet.  Secondly, if your dog spends time outside, make sure he/she is contained in a yard from which they cannot escape or jump the fence or wall.  Often, dogs will explore, especially if there is a new scent in the neighborhood.  Dogs which are roaming freely are sometimes hit by vehicles resulting in tragedy for all involved.  Do your pet a favor, license them and make sure they are secured!

You may find more information on the Animal Services page.

What do I do if my pet is sick or injured?

If your pet is sick or injured, contact your veterinarian and seek their assistance immediately.  If you do not have a veterinarian, you can consult your local phone book for a veterinarian in your area.

Where are the dog parks?

The Redondo Beach Dog Park is located at the corner of Flagler Lane and 190th Street.  For information about the dog park and events there, you may visit them online at

Where can I find rabies information?

For information about rabies, please visit the following website:

Where can I get my pet spayed or neutered?

You should consult with your pet's veterinarian to have this procedure done.  If you are looking for a low cost option, Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control performs this service:

There are other private clinics that perform this service.  Consult your local phone directory for a listing of those clinics.

Where do I get a license for my dog / cat?

Please contact the Licensing Division in the Financial Services Department at (310) 318-0604 or click on the link below for more information on animal licenses:

Where do I go to adopt a pet (dogs, cats & rabbits)?

Many places provide pet adoption services.  You may contact Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control at (310) 523-9566 to see about adoption from that shelter.  Los Angeles SPCA also has adoption from their shelter.  You may contact this agency at (310) 676-1149 or at for more information.  The Friends of Redondo Beach Dog Park offer pet adoption days also.  You can reach them at  There are also private pet stores that often have pet adoption days.

Where do I go to give away my dog or cat (for adoption)?

You may relinquish your pet at any Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control Shelter  You may also relinquish your pet at SPCA/LA  Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Animal Control staff at 310-318-0611.

You may find more helpful information at

Where is the animal shelter?

The Animal Shelter is operated by Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control and is located at 216 W. Victoria, Carson, CA 90248.

More information is available at

216 W. Victoria Street

CA 90248
Phone: (310) 523-9566