Tree Maintenance

Can I plant my own street tree?

Residents can plant trees in parkways at their own expense through a permit issued by the Public Works Parks Division. The tree species and exact location must be approved prior to installation of the tree and the City guidelines must be followed when planting the tree. For more information, please call 310-318-0687.

Can I trim the parkway tree in front of my home?

Yes, with certain provisions. Residents who want their parkway trees trimmed privately or with a greater frequency than provided by the City must get a permit from the Public Works Department Parks Division. The tree must be pruned to ISA Standards and the cost of pruning is the responsibility of the resident. The property owner may be held liable for any damages inflicted on the tree. In no case should a parkway tree be trimmed without a permit.

Does the City prune for view?

The City's policy is to prune trees for the safety of the public and the well being and aesthetics of the tree.  A tree that is severely pruned to benefit a sense of view cannot provide the intended public benefits and enhancements that a tree offers.

How do I report tree limbs overhanging the street?

If the tree is rooted on private property, contact Code Enforcement at 310-318-0617.

If the tree is rooted on City property or in the public right-of-way, contact the Public Works Department at 310-318-0686.

I have had problems with roots breaking up my sidewalk in the past. Why plant again?

In the past, developers built homes without considering which tree was the right one for the right place. As a result, some trees grew much bigger than the parkway where they were planted. Planning and planting the right tree is now dependent on parkway size, soil, and neighborhood conditions. Trees may also be planted with root barriers as well.

What can I do about diseased trees on my street?

Please contact the Public Works Department at (310) 318-0686.

You may find more information at

What happens if tree roots damage my sewer or water line?

When tree roots invade sewer lateral lines, the vast majority of the time the roots enter through the clay pipes that leak water and attract root growth. A common misconception is that roots will actively seek out sewer pipes in their search for moisture and then damage the pipe. This is almost never the case. The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the sewer lateral line from the residence to the sewer main located in the street.

What if I want a tree removed?

So that Redondo Beach does not lose its tree population faster than it can replant new ones, the City does not allow trees to be removed simply for the sake of removing them. Trees must be dangerous or diseased without remedy or be contributing to a hazardous condition. A City inspector will analyze and determine if a tree needs to be removed. Because of the value placed on larger trees, damage to sidewalks and curbs are routinely repaired in lieu of removing established trees.

Who clears branches around my power lines?

For City owned trees call Public Works (310) 318-0686. Our Park Maintenance Division will come out to assess the issue and determine further action. For private trees call Edison at 800-655-4555.

The Public Works Parks Division will maintain clearance around all electrical lines in Redondo Beach that are impacted by limbs from City owned trees.

Who do I call about trees blocking my view?

Please call the Public Works Department, Parks Maintenance office at 310-318-0687.

Who do I call for street tree related problems?

When a resident has a concern about a street tree or would like to report a hazardous condition, the resident should call the Public Works office at 310-318-0686. Staff is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. to answer questions. After hours, residents will be referred to a 24-hour emergency line so an immediate response to a tree related emergency can be coordinated.

Who do I call for tree trimming?

For tree trimming services, please contact the Public Works Department at (310) 318-0686.

Who maintains and prunes my trees, other than making sure they are watered?

The Public Works Parks Division is responsible for the maintenance of public property trees. When new trees are planted in City parkways, residents are encouraged to water the trees to aid in their establishment. Literature on the care of young trees is provided to residents who receive a new tree in their parkway.

Why doesn’t the City top the trees so they will remain small?

The topping of trees is strongly discouraged because of the many negative effects resulting from this practice. Topped trees will actually need to be trimmed more frequently and topping forces the aggressive growth of “suckers” that originate from the point of each cut. This growth quickly fills the crown of the tree which causes increased pruning frequency resulting in higher maintenance costs; the formation of a dense crown which makes the tree prone to blowing over in heavy winds; and trees which develop weak and dangerous branch attachments prone to breakage.