Borrowing and Renewing Materials
Getting a Library Card
- Bring a valid California driver's license or I.D. card and proof of your current residential address to the Main Library or the North Branch Library. Registration services end fifteen minutes before closing time. Please see the second page of Application Form for details.
- Children are eligible for a card at age five. A parent or guardian must co-sign registration forms for young people under the age of eighteen.
- Library cards expire 3 years from the date that they are issued, and need to be renewed (effective January 1, 2016).
- The Application Form is available online to download. Or, you can apply for a limited Online Library Card, and begin using our Electronic Resources, and cloudLibrary from home once you receive the card in the mail (in about two weeks). To check out library items (including other digital materials from vendors such as hoopla digital and Kanopy), you will need to visit either the Main Library or the North Branch Library to upgrade the online library card for full borrowing privileges.
- Out of state visitors may purchase a card for $10 per year. Please provide a current driver's license (or other valid government I.D.) for this service.
- 1 Week: Adult feature film/TV program DVDs, children's entertainment DVDs, and children's holiday books (in season).
- 2 Weeks: Interlibrary Loans (ILLs).
- 3 Weeks: All adult, teen and children's books (except children's holiday books), audiobooks on CD, music CDs, foreign language DVDs, nonfiction DVDs, magazines, pamphlets, and engravers.
- Loan periods on digital materials.
- The renewal loan period starts on the day that the item is renewed.
- Your materials will be automatically renewed unless they have holds on them. If you want to renew materials manually, you can do so online through our Website. Please select "My Account."
- TELECIRC Telephone renewal system (call 310/937-6661).
- In person or by phone on or before the due date.
- Most materials can now be renewed three times. Your materials will be automatically renewed unless they have holds on them.
- Renewals on interlibrary loans are dependent on the owning agency. Renewals are not available on items that have been placed on hold for another user.
Separate book and audiovisual return bins are located outside the Main Library and the North Branch for 'round the clock return of materials. If materials are dropped in the bins before the library opens, items will be treated as if they were returned the prior open day.
Why wait in line when you can check out your own books, CDs and DVDs? Just use the Self-Check machines located by the entrances of the Main Library and the North Branch Library. Follow the simple instructions and receive an itemized receipt, including due dates.