Catalina Village Project Public Hearing Continued
Scroll down to view the Final EIR with Response to Comments
On April 18th, 2022, the Preservation Commisson approved the request to form an Historic District, along with requests for Certificates of Appropriateness for modifications to existing potential historic resources, for construction of 30 new residential units adjacent to and behind the potential historic resources, and for the removal of a structure within a potential historic district, and consideration of a recommendation to the Planning Commission regarding a request for an Historic Variance for reduced commercial parking for the potentially historic properties located at 100-132 N. Catalina Avenue, also know as the Catalina Village Project.
On April 21st, the Planning Commission began its public hearing for consideration of certification of a Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) and adoption of Findings, Statement of Overriding Considerations and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program, approval of a Coastal Development Permit, Conditional Use Permit (Density Bonus, outdoor dining, tasting room, and multiple dwelling units), Variance, Planning Commission Design Review, and Vesting Tentative Tract Map No. 82561 for the proposed 30-Unit Residential Density Bonus project with adaptive reuse of non-residential buildings for commercial purposes.
At the meeting, the Planning Commission received and filed a staff presentation, and took testimony from the applicant, professional consultants which completed work on the FEIR, and interested members of the public. The Planning Commission then continued the public hearing to May 19, 2022, at which time the Commission once again discussed the project and took public comment. The Planning Commission then continued the matter to a future meeting date to be determined. Public notice of the future meeting date will be given as required.
The City will continue to accept public comment on the project for the Planning Commission to consider. See details below for public comment options.
Project Title: The Catalina Village Project
Project Location: 100-132 N. Catalina Avenue
Project Description: The project site consists of six parcels located on the east side of North Catalina Avenue at the intersection with Emerald Street. The project site is developed with legal non-conforming commercial structures/uses. The property immediately to the east, located at 305 Emerald Street, is the Oklahoma Apartments, which are designated as a Redondo Beach landmark. The properties to the rear (east) of the project site are developed with multiple-story residential buildings as well as industrial and institutional (assembly, i.e. church buildings). The property immediately to the north at 136 N. Catalina Avenue is developed with a commercial building that is presently occupied by a retailer. The project developer requests approval to construct a mixed-use, 30-unit Density Bonus residential project. A building (116 N. Catalina Avenue) would be demolished and portions of four other existing buildings (112, 124, 126 and 132 N. Catalina Avenue) would be removed. The remaining buildings would be adaptively reused as contributors to a potential historic district.
The Final Environmental Impact Report comprehensively evaluates the potential impacts of the project and was prepared in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and State CEQA Guidelines. The Final EIR determines that most of the potential project impacts can be reduced to a less than significant level with implementation of the measures identified in the Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program. However, the Final EIR also determines that the proposed project will have a significant transportation (Vehicle Miles Traveled) effect on the environment even with the implementation of mitigation measures. The approval of the project by the City is contingent upon the review and certification of the Final Environmental Impact Report and approval of other entitlements by the Preservation and Planning Commissions.
The Final EIR, which includes response to comments, will be available at locations 1 through 5:
1) City of Redondo Beach, Community Development Department, 415 Diamond Street, Door ‘2,” Redondo Beach, California 90277
2) City of Redondo Beach, City Clerk, 415 Diamond Street, Door “1”, Redondo Beach, California 90277
3) Redondo Beach Public Library, 303 N. Pacific Coast Highway, Redondo Beach, California 90277
4) Redondo Beach Public Library - North Branch, 2000 Artesia Boulevard, Redondo Beach, California 90277
5) Online at www.redondo.org/catalinavillage
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING DETAILS: The Planning Commission continued public hearing will take place on Thursday May 19, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. in-person within the Redondo Beach City Council Chamber, 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, CA 90277. Members of the public may attend in-person at this location. Public participation by virtual meeting via Zoom is available for those that cannot attend in-person. See details below.
The meeting will also broadcast live through Spectrum Channel 8 and Frontier Communications Channel 41 and, will be livestreamed on the City’s website at www.redondo.org/RBTV and YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/CityofRedondoBeachIT.
PUBLIC COMMENT DURING THE MEETING: There will be three options for public testimony during the meeting:
(1) Interested parties may attend the meeting in-person to address the Planning Commission on the matter. Anyone wishing to speak may submit a speaker card at the meeting to City staff. Each person will then be called on to speak when the Planning Commission asks for testimony from the public. Each person will be allowed to speak only once, and comments are limited to 3 minutes for each person.
(2) For those that cannot attend the meeting in-person, oral public testimony can be provided live by joining the virtual Zoom meeting by computer or phone-in. Instructions to register for joining live will be provided on the agenda cover page when it is released at least 72 hours prior to the public hearing. Each speaker can speak only once and speakers are limited to 3 minutes. Registration is required for this option. Planning Commission Zoom Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4j0OiT6_S0eJd36U-jTbXg
Registration should be limited to only those that wish to speak on the matter. Viewing the meeting can be done by either watching the live broadcast on Spectrum or Frontier, or streaming on the City's website or YouTube. Meeting videos are available for reply by the next day on YouTube.
(3) For those that cannot participate during the meeting in-person, a written eComment may be submitted through the City’s agenda webpage at https://redondo.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx. Specific instructions for eComment will be provided on the agenda cover page when it is released at least 72 hours prior to the public hearing. eComments may be read out loud by City staff during the public hearing and are limited to 3 minutes in length. Only one eComment per person.
A person may participate by only one of the above options, to remain in keeping with the rule of one 3-minute comment per person.
PARTICIPATION BY OTHER MEANS RATHER THAN DURING THE MEETING: For those that cannot participate during the public hearing, written comments on this matter may be submitted by email to PlanningRedondo@redondo.org. Written comments will be accepted up to 3:00 p.m. the day of the public hearing to allow time for distribution as a Blue Folder item. Emailed comments are made part of the public record, but are NOT read out loud during the meeting.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Questions related to this matter may be submitted by email to PlanningRedondo@redondo.org. A staff member will provide assistance. For those that would like to review the project materials in person at the counter, an appointment is required and can be requested by sending an email to the address above.
The May 19th agenda packet with the administrative report and materials related to this matter will be available for review at least 72 hours prior to the public hearing, pursuant to State Law and local ordinance, on the City of Redondo Beach website https://redondo.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx. Select the Commission meeting date.
If you challenge the project decision in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the City of Redondo Beach at, or prior to, the public hearing.
Action regarding certification of an Environmental Impact Report, a Planning Commission Design Review, a Conditional Use Permit, Coastal Development Permit, Variance, and Vesting Tentative Tract Map may be appealed to the City Council for a fee. These items must be appealed to the City Council by the tenth (10th) day following such decision (or on the next working day if the tenth (10th) day falls on a weekend or holiday). The system of appeals is described in greater detail in the Redondo Beach Municipal Code (RBMC), including §§ 10-5.2506(g), 10-5.2502(g), 10-5.2510 (g), 10-5.2222, 10-3.901, 10-1.506, 10-1.906, and 10-1.1011. Potential appellants are advised to review these procedures for further details and applicability.
Ensure pop-ups are enabled in order to view the links below, links will open in a new browser window.
FINAL EIR MATERIALS
PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING APRIL 21st, 2022
PRESERVATION COMMISSION APRIL 18th, 2022
Catalina Village Project Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR)
- 4.1 Air Quality
- 4.2 Biological Resources
- 4.3 Cultural Resources
- 4.4 Geology and Soils
- 4.5 Hazards and Hazardous Materials
- 4.6 Noise
- 4.7 Transportation
- 4.8 Tribal Cultural Resources
- Appendix A - NOP Scoping Comments
- Appendix B - Initial Study
- Appendix C - Transportation Assessments
- Appendix D - CalEEMOD Results
- Appendix E - Health Risk Assessment
- Appendix F - Historic Resource Evaluation and Preservation Plan
- Appendix G - Cultural and Paleontological Assessment
- Appendix H - Geotechnical Engineering Investigation
- Appendix I - Soil Vapor Extraction and Soil Treatment Workplan - Peer Review
- Appendix J - Noise Calculations and Manufacturers' Specifications